Monday 16 May 2016

Kayaking the Wey Navigation

So a few weeks ago I was reading Grand Adventures by Alastair Humphreys and got to the section on river based adventures. Within 5 minutes I was on Amazon and added an inflatable kayak to my basket. 

Met some friends in the pub a bit later and told them all about it. Clive asked to see it so I passed him my phone, 30 seconds later he passed it back and the screen said 'thank you for your purchase'!!
Cheers Clive!

So yesterday I got a train to Godalming with a bag which resembles a laundry bag, with the intention of paddling 18 miles down the River Wey, onto the Thames and along to Walton Xcel where I parked my car.


It was only 200 yards from Godalming Station to the river bank and in 10 minutes I had the kayak pumped up and ready to go.


I'd not been in a kayak for years so very carefully got in and immediately found I was stuck on the bottom. I'd put it in next to a land drain and I was sitting on a silt mound! A few pushes and I was away.


At the first lock I got out and carried my kayak around. Portaging they call it. 
There was a shire horse towing a narrow boat out of the lock which didn't like the look of my bright green vessel.
I waited until they were under way then I paddled past without any fuss from the horse.

It was a beautiful day, sunshine and a slight breeze. Lots of families of birds out for a paddle alongside me.



Godalming is the furthest southerly navigable point of the Wey Navigation and  there was a lock every mile or so, mostly there were easy places to get the boat out and safely back in again for the whole journey.


I stopped for a sandwich in Guildford after 6 miles or so and then again at The Anchor in Pyrford for more food and a beer.




Started to feel quite weary after about 12 miles but kept on paddling.



Got down to Thames Lock in Weybridge, where I worked as a teenager. This is where the Wey joins the River Thames.

I had the biggest challenge getting back into the kayak here, the drop to the river was about 18 inches which seemed a perilous undertaking, but happily I stayed dry and retained my dignity by not falling in.
Out into the Thames and just a couple of miles along to the leisure centre in Walton and back to my car.
Passed some mad canoeists coming along Desborough cut, there were about 10 of them side by side sprinting past, but leaving no room for me! I paddled to the bank as they steamed past, faces gritted with determination and not even a glance in my direction.


It seems the etiquette on the River Wey is to say hello to everyone on the river or on the towpath, but on the Thames you avoid any eye contact. Bit of a contrast!
Altogether my trip took 9 hours including stopping for food. It was 22 miles in total and my arms are like jelly. 

Total cost of this adventure was £60 for the kayak from Amazon and £8.40 for the train ticket.
Great day out!

Russell :)










No comments:

Post a Comment